Entry #1 (Previous Progress: Styrene Gauntlet Base)

During my sophomore year (2015-16), it was a requirement for my IBMYP diploma program to participate in the personal project. This project is an individual endeavor that is planned and executed by the student, preferably in a topic or activity that he or she is interested in. 
 
For my personal project, I had decided to try to replicate an Iron Man gauntlet both aesthetically and mechanically. During that time, I was very interested in model making as well as electrical/mechanical engineering (a long term endeavor) so I wanted to create an accurate model of the gauntlet in both aspects. My priority for the building process was to make it mechanically function as I wanted it to be, and then make it aesthetically accurate.
 
By the end of the project deadline, I had not completed all of the goals that I had initially wanted to complete. In fact, my progress was a complete fail to what I wanted to accomplish. I want to revisit the project by making improvements and finishing the project as I had initially planned to do.
 
For my project thus far, I’ve already created a functioning Opening and Closing Mechanism during my Sophomore year. I had to determine a material for the foundation of the gauntlet and I used styrene (3mm). I outlined basic rectangles for both the top and bottom halves of my right forearm. I then cut them out using a hacksaw and cleaned up the cuts using a rotary tool for a more accurate fitting. Usiing a heat gun, I molded the styrene onto my forearm and finished making the basis of my gauntlet.
Entry #1 (Previous Progress: Styrene Gauntlet Base)
Entry #1 (Previous Progress: Styrene Gauntlet Base)
Entry #1 (Previous Progress: Styrene Gauntlet Base)
Entry #1 (Previous Progress: Styrene Gauntlet Base)
When brainstorming about the opening and closing mechanism, I wanted the two halves of the gauntlet to open up like a clamshell. During that time, I was on a time-crunch so I wasn’t able to create a proper hinge mechanism so I just had to improvise by using masking tape. Surprisingly this method worked far better than I thought it would and this hinge wasn’t a setback for anything as of yet.